Monday, January 31, 2011

Conversation with a Vancouver Taxi driver

Namaste,

This evening I had to take my daughter to the doctor. We don't have a car, so my wife and I called for a taxi. On the way, I began a conversation with a punjabi taxi driver which at one point came to the topic of yoga. The taxi driver practiced asanas and pranayama after his exercise routine. He asked me if I practiced yoga. I said I did, and he went one, "And, how do you feel?"

This is a question in my 11 years of practice, I don't recall ever been asked. And so, it has left an impression on me because at the time, I found it hard measure. But then, i quickly thought about how I felt when i didn't practice meditation, pranayama, or asanas and from there I began to form an answer. It is a miracle really, how quickly the brain can compute such a response because this occurred in a fraction of a second because I don't think i skipped a beat in the conversation.

I responded that I felt energy in my waking life, that I had accessed a deeper patience and understanding with my relationships, and that my muscles felt more relaxed. We came to the clinic, I paid my fare and we went our separate ways. But, the moment did not end there.  I wanted to share this with the internet public because the practice of yoga in it's totality brings about peace in ones' self and energy that enables the body and mind to perform at it's best.  With this peace and energy, one can better relate and see clearly into those around them and his/her environment. With the popularity of yoga this day, I'm sure many of you have heard this and so I probably sound like a broken record. But, I insist that if one adopted a daily 15 minute practice of asana, 5 minutes of pranayama breathing, and 10 minute meditation much of the challenges we face in our day to day lives wouldn't impact our well being in the fashion that they do; maybe not at all for yoga allows an individual to maintain equanimity whether by will or by default.  Of course this takes practice and discipline to achieve, but after one session one can instantly tap into this source.
By equanimity one can make a clearer judgement of action to undertake the task at hand be it speaking, walking, eating, etc.

The practice of yoga has allowed me to self-introspect at a deep level. Where I question all of my impulses, cravings, thoughts, feelings...all of my mental processes to the point that i experience within me, sources of judgement. Each with it's own attitude and agenda. The ego's faces become clearer and I understand their purpose. But, beyond their voice, there's a presence to which I relate to as a grandfather figure which serenely sits back on a big ol' chair, stately, with compassion looking over everything. The noise from the ego clouds his voice; but he is always there.



Namaste,

No comments:

Post a Comment